Friday, February 02, 2007

Thinking of young friends

As the United Nations report came out today on global warming, I think about the young people in my life, those emerging people who will inherit this world the people my age made. I am sorry we didn't understand what we were doing. I hope in my lifetime we can begin to make amends, get rid of the Hummers, hang clothes out on the line, get behind public transit, and think carefully about how we can take care of the planet. I am sorry that we have had no politicians recently who could galvanize the electorate to address the problems of the globe. I am sorry that my generation could not be a model for peace and sustainability for the whole world.

I am embarrassed. I wanted to be a part of a generation who could do better. I want those young people to have a clear and shining view of what they can do to promote peace and prosperity, and, indeed, it is within their reach.

Alex, Maddy and Katie are kids I have known since they were little. Now they are soon to go on to college. I do not see them often, but every summer they come to spend a few days with us on the ranch. I love these girls, so languid, capable, and accessible. They help with the chores and they eat prodigiously from our garden. It's comfortable to have them here. They know I will never intrude, but that I am available. We talk our heads off and play card games. Everyone is at ease, no worries. When they are in college they'll come back and stay in the guest house, as have so many others, talk all night, get up late and bring quilts outside at noon and lie in the pasture with he sun on their young bodies. And they love to eat!

I love these young people! Katie, Maddie, and Alex are so special to me, so talented and interesting. Tonight I finished a quilt for my own bed. But as I did, I thought about the quilts I have in mind to make for them as I have done for so many other kids on their way to college.

No comments:

Post a Comment