Saturday, March 10, 2007

May- September

It has been a particularly hard week for me, lots to do and many trips back and forth between Dade City and St. Pete. I hate that commute with ever more cars on the road no matter what time of day it is. With each trip I see more developments happening, gobbling up the ranches and cypress domes. I came back home today early after a late night of seeing the opera "Madam Butterfly".

When we were in New york a few weeks ago, I had wanted to take my friend to an opera in the big city. Unfortunately all that was happening was a really inaccessible oriental one, not something to present as a first time opera. So last night it was Pucini, at his sentimental best, and here in our fair city. We loved it!

I had to get back to welcome our weekend guests. This was to be a wedding present for them- a weekend in our guest house which overlooks a lovely pond and is within shouting distance of owls, cows and other nocturnal critters. We promised them a gourmet dinner and leisurely walks. The man is almost sixty and his bride is twenty-three. I had no idea because I had not gone to their wedding. I knew she was recently arrived from Ukrania, did not speak English. I was imagining someone over forty at least. I stocked the guest house with tea and imagined doing pantomimes of things I wanted to say.

This young woman is wonderful looking with that careless lithe affect of youth in our times. I did not see a tattoo on her lower back, the trademark of young American women, but I imagine it will happen soon. She does not speak English perfectly yet, but she listens and speaks copiously. She is a firecracker, playful, curious and greedy for life. Why has she married this older person, I wonder? (I know why my older friend has married her!) She does not drive and rarely goes out of their apartment alone. She has only been in the USA for a month and waits for her green card so she can resume her studies in business. Meantime, she watches T.V. and cooks meals for her new husband. But! This is a young woman who will have a meteoric rise I know not where

We were charmed. I want to take her under my wing, and not because she is needy. Right after dinner I gave her the key to the golf cart, gave her a brief tutorial, and she was off and away, giggling with glee. She's almost young enough to be our grandchild, and I think she'd get along with them just fine!

I am here to show her that life is grand and full of interesting and attainable goals. We'll start by taking walks around the downtown, learn to drive, maybe get a part time job where she can practice her English. Where will she be in five years?

My older friend is protective of her and seems to keep her like a private and exquisite painting on the wall. Unlike paintings, people are not static. He is on edge already. At dinner he was so careful about what and how much he ate; his bride was chomping down with strong young white teeth and asking for seconds.

I sat back with a smile, loving every minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment