Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Walmart Christmas

It was 84 degrees today, so when I pulled up into the parking lot of my neighborhood Walmart superstore, everyone was wearing shorts that revealed their liver spots on the shins and tight jersey across their paunches. There was a clot of of old and middle aged people clogging the door with their carts. They seemed to be homing into some sort of free medical information- maybe it was flu shots? I grabbed a shopping cart and bustled my way through the crowd.

I took two deep breaths and breached the doorway. My mission was to get a few DVD's for a Christmas gift, some wrapping paper, and seed packets for my 4-H students. There is so much stuff here! I found a special on kiwi fruits and I wanted them for my students who will welcome me back from New Zealand. I picked up twenty of them, imagining how I would artfully cut them into servings for the snack I will bring to school next week.

The wrapping paper was the first for us in two years. (We have finally used up the Kwanzaa paper with the black Santas) This time I had the choice between the sponge bob square pants motif and Barney. I chose Barney.

Triumphant, I pushed my cart out to the gardening section. I asked, only to find that there were no seeds. (What's the matter lady? You want seeds this time of the year? We're on New Jersey time. No way can you find seeds here even though it is the best time to grow lettuces!)

So, I trundle my shopping cart to the checkout manned by a sad and surly woman who tells me that I can't pay for the kiwi fruit here. So, dispirited, I give my bag of kiwifruit back and lay it on the checkout counter. "O.K, take it back." ( I am not about to go back into the maw of the huge store, stand in line, and pay for the kiwis.)

So, this is Christmas shopping American style.

I am not grumpy about this holiday. Really, I' m not. I have a long Christian tradition in my mind. I love the music. I love the smell of Christmas trees and the sounds of bells and the traditions of stockings and burning candle odors in the midnight mass. I love the anticipation of Christmas morning and the gifts.

But, now I am not Christian in any traditional sense. In our house we have no Christmas tree, no ornaments, and no regrets. We keep Christmas with our grandchildren and we celebrate like crazy!

We are off (in a snow storm) to visit one segment of our grandchildren. We are taking bags full of gifts to celebrate the season. We are so blessed.

Happy holidays to everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment