Sunday, April 13, 2008

My Space


My space has been invaded by my grandsons, especially the fourteen year old, who love having a building (my studio) where they can make art, use their computer, and just hang out all day. I can easily take this for a couple of days, and we are compatible in my space. Diego is making collages (to die for), and I am completing a project of four quilts. Everything hums with activity, and we are even fairly o.k. with the music we listen to.

But I find that I cannot really do my best thinking and creating with another person at my elbow. Tonight I have one hour alone in the studio, and then I have promised my appearance at the evening card game in fifteen minutes.

'My Space': do kids today really know anything about having their own space? Are we all to become Japanese type persons having to share tiny spaces, never being alone? Is 'My Space' only to be something online? For me, my space is in my studio, alone with my thoughts and art, or outdoors walking in the woods and fields. I appreciate that my wonderful grandsons truly love the freedom they have here, the space to create, think, and just be themselves. What a gift for us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment