Saturday, June 14, 2008

Early summer

The Cabbages are about gone and the tomatoes are ripening , though I have to pick off the stinkbugs every day. It is the start of rainy season and I will have a breather on the gardens not having to be watered every day. It is too hot even at night for more tomatoes to set fruit.

It is glorious and cool here in the mornings. We walk the mile to the mailbox where we pick up the three daily newspapers. Most days Lola, our mini daschshund walks with us, looking totally funny flopping along behind us. We sometimes see wild pigs or sand hill cranes. I am realizing more and more that this place here in the middle of nowhere is truly home. And I am more happy than anyone has a right to be.

For the last few days our daughter and her three year old son, Quincy, have been visiting. Quincy is really interested in this place he calls The Farm. He loves coming down to the barn where he climbs up to pretend drive the tractor. He opens the little tool box on the side and gets out various implements to "fix" things. Sometimes we swim in the pool or go out to the Pine Island field to pick blackberries. Last night we had enough berries to make ice cream.

I love having him here. He accompanies me on errands. Today we went to pick up a quilt from my collaborator and then we stopped at Farmer's Feed to inspect the baby chickens, turkeys and rabbits, always a fun Saturday thing. I bought a few hot weather plants- eggplants, okra and sweet million tomatoes-to fill in spots in the garden.

I am loving beyond imagining this life I have. At the moment I am aware that I have not surfaced from down in my studio for hours. This room of my own is my place for ideas and creativity. I have been working on my book today, and I have finished binding the best quilt I have ever made. I still have 'hostess syndrome' as my best friend Marie calls it. I am always trying to make sure that people in my area are having a good time. But sometimes, like tonight, I feel somewhat o.k. to hunker down and do exactly what I want to do. As I have said to my daughter, I have deficits to address after all these years.

This morning while I was cleaning up after breakfast, our daughter was playing the piano for Quincy. When she was in high school she played all the time and I loved hearing that music. As I took out the compost today I heard the Canon in D and it made me feel that all was right with the world and I looked up at the morning glories splayed over the fence and I rejoiced.

Tomorrow is Fathers' Day. The Dad in this house is stellar! He's the main cook who will address any dietary needs, he has been an incredible bringer of the bacon, he loves his kids, he's fun and handsome, and he's always thoughtful and interesting. He's not MY father but I salute him as he best dad in the world.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment