Thursday, October 30, 2008

Frost!

This has been the earliest in my memory of such an early frost- in October! We hated getting out of bed with our dog warmer who runs hot at our feet. This morning there was a white glaze over the pastures and steam coming up from the pond. The beans, tomatoes, eggplants and basil are toast. The collards, broccoli, cabbages and lettuce are loving the cool weather. Peppers are peaky looking, but might pull through. I think this blast of cold will color up the oranges before we pick them starting in November.
It's cold in my studio but I need to work on quilting homework for my class in traditional quilting. I still hate it; it makes me think of Legos, and I never liked them. I have been making quilts for many years but they are wild and definitely not traditional. Now I am learning the elements and the cutting and measuring and pressing. At first I was completely lost, but now I can cut and measure like crazy. But it's not me.
I went up to Lacoochee Community School today for the monthly community action committee meeting. By now I know so many of those kids and adults. Way more families are now on Title One Lunch, close to 100%. People are hungry, crime is up, money is scarce, everyone needy. These folks are all Obama supporters, hopeful for change. I signed up to read to kids and help with an afterschool drama project.
As I left off a huge box of fired and glazed clay pieces left over from the summer program I run here, a staff member told me that I could get a grant to use a van for next summer's program. A day like this makes me aware of how many people in this country just keep on doing little things to help out. They feed, teach, drive, do useful things.
I think I will just die if Obama is not elected! I have been canvassing, sending money, anything. I so hate the lies that McCain puts forth to the naive voters. Obama is so amazingly idealistic, American, and intelligently thoughtful.
Folks, vote now!

No comments:

Post a Comment