Sunday, May 24, 2009

The Pond


After first light, in the dawn chorus of the birds, I head down to circle the pond. Always an adventure, I know that always there will be some of the familiars, and sometimes something I have never seen there before.

I check out the sand hill crane family who are elegantly strutting around the periphery with junior who scuttles behind and under them and frequently taps on their heads for food.

There are many wood ducks and Florida ducks and purple galinules paddling on the surface, oblivious to the alligators I know are there. The kingfisher flashes it's blue as it flies low over the water. Today I see a lone wood stork, a great blue heron, and the otter turning and splashing in the shallows. Five deer gallop across the field.

We have had major rain for the last two weeks so the pastures are verdant and we hope the Green Swamp is sucking it in. The vegetable garden is over watered from god and the tomatoes on the vine are splitting with so much moisture. The lettuces are bolting but the beans are so prolific that we give every guest a bag of them to take home. The tropicals- sweet potatoes, okra, peppers and eggplants will be our vegetables for the long hot days ahead.

I love this place, and as I look out the window at the moment I see an intense red sky to the west, promising more rain.

This weekend we had a visitor, our good friend Ann. Both Andy and I have loved this woman for decades. While Ann and I spent time in my studio, catching up as the torrential rains fell, Andy made a dinner that was the best ever!

First, we had squash soup from a volunter acorn squash that appeared next to the compost pile. He had put just the right amount of garlic and curry and cream into it. So creamy and delicious! Then we had his home made pasta pillows stuffed with collards from the garden and toasted pine nuts, topped with garden tomatoes and onions. To accompany, there was a side dish of green beans and carrots from the garden and a salad of light green lettuces and crispy cukes from the garden. Fresh baked bread Andy made, and we all indulged in butter. To guild the lily, we had dessert of an impressive lemon souffle! Hey, there is some good cooking going on in East Pasco! Michael Pollen would be proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment