Saturday, January 23, 2010

Quilts and craziness

I am still despondent about the state of the world and the state of the union. Go have your tea parties, pack guns and dismiss everything that you fear and do not understand. Shoot yourself in the foot. Climate change will undo you but you will drive your huge SUVs into the polluted sunset. I devoutly hope I will be dead by then.

So, here is a photo of the beginning of a quilt for my dear friend Julie who is struggling with a rare blood disease. Making this is a positive thing for me. While I sew I think of this wonderful and intelligent woman who has shared such wisdom with me.

In this season of my despondency the best things are working in the vegetable garden, weeding out the dead stuff from the prolonged freeze and renewing the beds, planting new collards and seeding the lettuce beds. I have small seedling containers, now full of shoots.

This is a renewal of life going on and I rejoice in this.

Where are you young people who should be revolutionaries?? Why are you not out there in the front telling the nation what you think can be done?? Are you only hunkered down with your Facebook and Twitter and buying things online and you tube on inconsequential matters? It makes me sad.

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you, Molly. There's a recent song called "Waiting On The World To Change" and it makes me angry when I hear it. The songwriter claims to be speaking for his generation who are currently young adults. It is clear to me that those who embrace his message have ignored Gandhi's voice telling them to be the change that they wish to see in the world. It is very unfortunate that the idealism which existed when Chris and Ben and I were children disappeared so drastically with the era of intense greed as was found in the 1980s. In a way I think my generation was partly to blame for that downslide but I wonder what we could have done to prevent it. That's a moot point now, of course. I do see the seeds of hope when I look at my own children's attitudes though. I can only hope that they will find the courage to be leaders while keeping their idealism intact.

    What a beautiful quilt you've made! I hope that when you give it to your friend you will have a conversation with her about the things you've told us here. From what I've gathered in this post, her insights could be quite valuable to you.

    ReplyDelete