Sunday, December 19, 2010

Why I don't watch t.v. (mostly)

Most nights I clean up the kitchen after the wonderful dinner my husband cooks. Sunday nights, it is Sixty Minutes on t.v., a program I generally like, being the news hound I am. Tonight, at exactly seven p.m., there is no Sixty Minutes, only football (where they knock their heads silly for now, later for Alzheimer's) By the time I get the kitchen extra super clean, football is still on. As I say, "I am out of here.", my husband says that Sixty Minutes is about to start. I edge into the t.v. room and see that there is the beginning of multiple ads: Ciallis (don't need that!), cars ( my ancient Honda is just fine.) Health care opportunities (crap), and fast food (we eat everything from scratch and from our garden).

So, I am gone down to my studio, walking the several hundred yards in the moonlight to the warmth and squalor of my studio full of Christmas presents wrapping, ceramic glazing and finalizing the costume and sewing for Quincy's Christmas gift of the Ox-Cart Man extravaganza. (A whole costume and an actual kid sized ox cart) I wonder how we will transport this thing for him to see it on Christmas?

I am thinking about all the others, those dear others I know and care so much about in this holiday time. Have I included them in my thoughts and presents?

Nothing on t.v. is as interesting as the lives of you people I know; family and friends. This has been an incredible year.. I am still in love with this place where we live. I look up at the stars and and still weep for my friend Nidia who died before her time. I am amazed that our daughter and we sold our houses and found a home site we love. I am honored to be the grandma of so many wonderful children, especially Quincy who lives nearby and is constantly in our lives. Life tumbles on and we are so fortunate to have many friends and a huge family.

Who needs T.V.?

1 comment:

  1. Hello Florida grandma, I came across your blog by blog surfing. You mentioned that you live on a small ranch and it caught my eye...We have a few things in common, not the ranch,lol! I wish. Presently I work part-time in a library and have worked off and on with children for many years as a teachers aide. At my job I get to work with the children for what is called Toddler bootcamp. It is all about music and movement. It is a lot of fun. I do it only once or twice a week .We too enjoy gardening. My husband has a very green thumb, loves to cook and watch football. I had to laugh as I finally have learned that football players are often poor sports and gee it is an extremely rough spot. You will find me at heartnsole, more pictures than writing and also clothed in His beauty..I have been doing this since May and am still learning but having fun with it.. (: I am a grandma too..

    ReplyDelete