Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Where has civility gone?

Here is my lettuce garden, even after a few frosts. It gives me strength (and lots of salads!).
The Republicans in the House are still talking about "job killing". This is so unseemly. Seems we are back to slogans with a violent twist. I would really like to see an intelligent dialog about health care. It seems to me that the Republicans in the house are not thinking clearly about the real issues. The bottom line for them is that folks who are poor, have preexisting conditions of health, or who have grown kids, should twist in the wind.
On NPR tonight I heard about one of the two persons who are in the suit to repeal this. This is a guy in S. Florida who says, "I can pay everything on my own dime, why should I pay for those others?"
How sad that this man is the litigant, the flagship for health care repeal! Is everything all about him? Does he never have a thought for the less fortunate? The reason we should all have health care insurance is that we care that all our fellow Americans have access to the care they need. This man may not have a child with expensive medical needs, he may not have young adults in his family who cannot afford health insurance, he may not have a wife with ovarian cancer. What he does have is a poverty of soul that keeps him from thinking generously of others. (he went to Harvard!)
What have we come to? Have we not been the people who give generously to anyone on the globe in need? Have we not been the people who thought not about what our country could do for us, but what we could do for our country?
While waiting for a haircut today I picked up a magazine and found that so much of it was thick with ads for prescription medicines I could barely find any content! Overactive bladder, thick toenails, and malignant flinders. Whatever it is, Big Pharma will have a cure. And it will cost you a lot. (Ask your doctor.) We have been duped, not only by the drug companies that control so much of our medicine, but by our politicians (and doctors) who stand to benefit.
I believe that Americans are practical about what works for them, generous to the less fortunate, and, finally will not tolerate spurious polemics that don't make sense.
I believe that if a collective selfishness prevails we are doomed.

No comments:

Post a Comment