Sunday, July 17, 2011

Fun Stuff

Here is Berenice's painting from art camp this week. One of the activities was to start a line with a permanent marker and not pick up that pen until the drawing was done; then use water colors to complete it. Adults who came had such a hard time! And Berenice just came in and sat down and immediately took a piece of the "good" watercolor paper and produced this. I love it when the grown-ups and kids just really have fun together, learn from each other, and are on a par as persons.
We are several weeks into this art camp, and by now we have a steady and somewhat shifting group of two dozen parents and kids. They appear on the dot of nine a.m., ready to go. The first thing is opening the kiln from the past week's firing. They loved seeing the colorful newly glazed pieces, and by now they are all helping hands to unload and put away the kiln stilts and posts and shelves.
Then I explain what the art activities are today: the line drawings and water colors and clay glazing and making new pieces, and the ever popular construction room where they can put anything togethert they can imagine with glue guns. I have for today a bunch of toilet paper tubes, pieces of wood, pipe cleaners, old wires and hardware- junk!
I have not yet seen any kid or parent at loose ends. By now everyone knows where everything is, and if they don't see it in the bins, they ask to look in the drawers where I stash other craft items. I feel comfortable with these kids!
I have two amazing helpers. I never required it or expected it, but my husband has been an incredible help. He sees how these kids respond to an interesting day, and he's on duty as a lifeguard at the swimming pool and the primary provider of the lunch we serve to everyone at the end of the morning. He chats with the parents, and one time, I hope he'll try his hand at clay or painting.
The other steady helper is a wonderful college student from St. Leo's I discovered when I was judging a local art gallery show. She was tending the desk. I suppose I have a lot of crust but I immediately asked her if she would be willing to help me out. This Lindsie Dougherty gave me her phone number, and rest is history. She appears and is wonderfully capable and I think she'll be a fixture in our lives for the forseeable future.
Most of the families are Hispanic- Mexican and Cuban.
Next time all of them are going to bring the food for a Hispanic lunch. All I have to do is produce the promised VOLVCANO CAKE!
I love doing this. I get the chance to practice my Spanish and provide a loving climate for people to be creative. These are folks who are trying their best for themselves and their kids. I have made some unexpected good friends here, and I have made some good friends with their children, some of whom will be in my life for a long time.
This is such a great antidote to the hours I spend worrying about the wrong direction our country is in. These folks are not the mean spirited Tea Partiers who are not concerned about others less fortunate. (I've got mine!) Of course we do not talk politics or religion here, but these families see what our values are. And I see what their values are.
Lots to be learned and one is never too old to learn.



No comments:

Post a Comment