Wednesday, October 19, 2011

About time!

Here's an opossum I trapped yesterday in the vegetable garden. We'll take him out to the far side of the ranch where he can be with the dozens of others we relocated.

That expression! He's probably thinking  about Hughesnet, our internet provider. Finally, today, an angel came and brought us a new FAST connection and so I am happy tonight. I have called the phone company each week for years, asking them when we could expect a fast DSL connection. "Not tonight, honey." And last week they informed me that yes! we could do it. I really had no hope and today of the appointment the truck arrived on time, and my hopes sprang anew. But wait! Emerging from the truck is an old guy, hardly an angel, pony tail, beard, suspenders across a paunch, slouched under a straw hat. Not your usual computer geek to say the least. My heart sinks.

But, like Santa, he went right to his work, and soon the main house was on line. I was discouraged to find that the DSL did not work in my studio. We needed another line. I took ten deep breaths and called Bill, the computer person. Later, my husband thought of a solution and when I had found a very long telephone cable, he installed it and now everything works in my studio and in the main house.

If you live in the boonies as we do, it is important to have connections to the world. At first we just had dial-up, not much. Then we got the satellite, the best that rural folks can get. It was often so slow, and no chance of downloading anything.

So, now! Off and running, looking at all that stuff that was previously unavailable. I have always said that no connectivity was just the flipside of living in paradise. Dare I think that we can have it all?

The garden appreciated a little rain before the cold front moved in. Broccoli is heading and the greens are there for every meal. I cut some collard leaves for the soup I'll take on our upcoming house boat trip up the Suwanee River on Saturday.

Strength and love to all the occupiers! And today we got autumn. Quilts tonight!

1 comment:

  1. Richard Riley4:56 AM

    Your installer was Tom somebody, the same man who brought speed to our home also. He is a good ole boy who is a Masonic brother to Officer Friendly, and does a great job. Hughesnet can't control the weather, but they have never been all that telephone friendly.

    ReplyDelete