Thursday, November 10, 2011

I hate football

I met my husband of fifty years at a football game so I shouldn't hate the sport. He was not on the team but was a member of the band. This was a blind date arranged by one of my college friends. Her brother was in the band also. Then, as is the case now, Ivy League colleges did not take football seriously. As I remember, the Harvard band went out on the field at half time and made a formation of a toilet (Flush Brown). Few people really cared who won.
My husband used to watch football games on t.v. and I would make negative comments and leave the scene. (A blood sport!) We never let our kids participate in football because of the injury risk, and as athetic kids they were into soccer, swimming, sailing, cycling and basketball. In my mother's heart I knew absolutely that I did not want to have my intelligent kids' brains battered by football.
But wait! There is so much more negative about football, especially in colleges. To begin, high school kids are courted for their football skills. They are invited to attend colleges to play football, never mind that they cannot cut the mustard academically. They play for the alma mater, everyone cheers them on, they are paid royally and some of them go on to have rich and puny lives. Many of them are forever damaged by having their heads repeatedly traumatized, and more are devastated by unfulfilled expectations. They don't get a good education.
So, college football (Not to mention national football!) is BIG MONEY, the one percent, cynical about our youth.  Let's not go to any college football games. Give money to the anthropology department. Stop subsidizing brain injuries, stop subsidizing the coaches who make more than a million a year and feel free to rape little kids in the shower stall because they know no one will notice.
Time to stand up for the right thing to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment