Monday, December 05, 2011

The Mayo Clinic Experience

My husband has had a nasty cough for two years, and despite many doctors and tests, nothing improved, so it was decided that something different was needed. He made the appointment at Mayo in Jacksonville. Our posse of our daughter, my husband and I went up there to spend the day trying to get to the bottom of this.
Mayo Clinic is a campus of many large imposing buildings. One enters the place with dread. But, once in the system everything goes fast and smooth. They said they would not waste your time and this was true enough. Hundreds of folks are going through quite quickly. Everyone we dealt with was friendly and efficient, and the main doctor was obviously very smart and able to deal with many aspects of my husband's problems. Never did I feel like he could only see one aspect. His view was wide and inclusive, far from being the blind man and the elephant. He was clear with us and answered our questions. We have to go back for the final tests and consultations, but we came away from this initial visit full of hope and feeling we were in the best hands.
I have little confidence in medicine as it is practiced now. I am always thinking that so many doctors are prescribing tests and medicines that actually feather their own nests. At Mayo the doctors are on salary and do not have their own private practices and centers where they charge huge fees for using their machines.
We will return in a month to finish up. I do not know if there will be a real cure for the cough, but at least for now I can rest a lot easier.
We have Medicare and that covers almost all the expenses. I think of my younger friends who struggle with inadequate or completely lacking insurance. What are we thinking? What is so bad about having every American have access to such as the Mayo Clinic? On Medicare one can do it, but otherwise, get used to the pain and aggravation.

No comments:

Post a Comment