Thursday, February 23, 2012

The Way it's Spozed to be

Every week or so I visit my old school where I had been a director/teacher for most of my teaching life. Today I carried in a bale of greens from my garden to give to the teachers, and a bag of yarn and crochet needles so I could help with the crocheted coral reef the kids are making.

As I entered the front hall, it was eerily quiet, only Gigi, the long haired cat was there sprawled out on a table in one of the classrooms. Up the hall, the kindergarten/first grade was busily humming, their guinea pigs scuffling in their pen, lots of writing going on with tongues sticking out, small groups working on various games. After greeting the class, I continue up the long hall, past the colorful paintings on the walls.

I have to visit Linda's room (and my grandson I haven't seen in a week!) This classroom has such incredible texture- all in orderly array. There are books, computers, games, pets, manipulatives, every kind of tool a kid could need. I can see that this group of second and third graders are now in the midst of doing individual reports on geography. This is their first foray into research, a totally new deal. Linda guides them gently and individually, sends off many directives to parents and encourages everyone.

But where are the other kids, the oldest two groups? I continue up the hall to the church sanctuary where for years we have had Shakespearean rights. Thirty kids are winding up the last scene of "A Midsummer Night's Dream", the play they will perform for the community in three weeks. I creep up and sit in a back pew to see what's happening. Different kids, but the same joy and teamwork. As always, I am amazed that such young kids can handle Shakespearean language and have learned all those lengthy lines. I notice the ones who have a definite spark, the ones who can project their voices. All of these kids, the principals, Bottom and Puck, the fairies, the stage managers, are consumed with this project of producing their play. Parents and grandparents show up to help with scenery and sets and costumes. Everyone is involved.

Just a few weeks back, these kids took the battery of standardized tests - and did well to brilliantly. These are just regular kids. But they have a lot more on their plate than just the fear of tests and the test prep.

After lunch, some kids went to a Yoga class, some hunkered down with art materials, some worked with each other on their lines for the play. I sat with eight kids from different classes who wanted to work on the coral crochet project. I am a total beginner with this, but I enjoyed trying to help even the lefties. During this time a couple of (parents? grandparents?) showed up, and they really knew how to instruct us.

In this school the kids just welcome anyone. Hey, we are a team. Let's help each other. There is such a warmth and texture of possibility, such a high standard gently set, what child could not be a winner?

Why, oh why, does the state of Florida set up our teachers for failure? (F schools!)
At Lacoochee Elementary School, where I volunteer and know virtually every kid, I wish the Florida vision for education would just let this amazing school run free.

Give this gifted principal the freedom to do what she knows will help every child be literate and strive for more. The spectre of being an F school is so unfair.

What amazing things could happen if every principal could make decisions without reprisal, just breathe in hugely, and be creative!

No comments:

Post a Comment