Saturday, September 08, 2012

Blue Curls!

Finally, there is the merest vapor of a new season about to happen. I have opened the studio door and I feel the breeze, so welcome after the heat of the day.
This morning when the dew was still upon the land I walked up the lane behind the barn and saw the blue curls that I have been looking for all summer. These flowers are small, about the size of a fingernail, blazing blue, curled over. I had thought that they were to bloom in summer - but here they are, a presage of autumn.

The chimney swifts have flown away and we no longer hear their loud chatter. We swapped out the hummingbird feeders for songbird feeders. The last of the hummingbird feeders are full of butterflies, mostly zebra long wings. There are so many tree frogs one cannot open a door without being covered with them.

I am resting for the weekend after an obsessive week of starting the Lacoochee school community garden. Most of the planting is done and it was like herding cats to get the teachers on board and get the watering system up and running and get the kids to plant their beds. But I still have this vision of an overflowing garden of vegetables and flowers, many parents and kids and teachers owning it. I think we are on the way!

Many volunteers have stepped up to help! Those lovely shy Mexican parents come by (Ms. Molly, Ms.Molly!) and take home pots of extra collard and broccoli plants. Others from the summer camp I run come by to be supportive. Officer Friendly waves, Mr. Lopey, the janitor, is the main man who will monitor the watering.

In the mornings when I walk from the office to the garden and see lines of beautiful kids going to their classes I am surrounded by hugs (Ms Molly!) I have known so many of them since kindergarten!

The core volunteer group is equally beguiled.
It has been a wonderful and hard week but well worth it.

And I have discovered this season's blue curls!

No comments:

Post a Comment