Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Everyone Wants Money

Most of the calls I receive these days are from people wanting money:  requests from paramedics and police in our community, the democrats, the environment, my college, breast cancer, all kinds of other worthy causes.

 But I have donor fatigue. If I give money to a particular cause all I get in response is a request for more and more. So, sometimes I listen to the pitch, and feel guilty as I say no to right now. Sometimes the folks who are earnestly making the pitch engage me. "So, can I put you down for a thousand bucks?" I think of these young people who are manning the phone banks who have been schooled to make the "Ask". Sometimes, I quietly hang up. I cannot deal with this. Sometimes I tell them that, quite frankly, I do not have the money, but thanks for asking.

When I attend community meetings, most of what we discuss is fundraising. These groups need money! Funds enable kids to make a trip to Washington, D.C., and play football.  Funds enable the community to furnish a community center or provide meals for needy kids, or make it possible for children to get dental care.

Everyone needs money! And I know money is out there. There are many small grants in reach. There are many prosperous people who would willingly give to a cause. There are many people who can buy expensive cars or boats or whatever, but never really think about how far a hundred bucks could go to fund a kid for a soccer club or three hundred meals on wheels. 

We need to have a redistribution of money in this society. Lots of people- the haves- just don't think about it. Our American society is very generous. We just need to be constantly reminded. When the media highlights a story about a kid needing a lung transplant, money pours in . When the media has a story about a miserable dog that was shot with an arrow, or was spurned by our governor, money pours in.

We all do what we can, generous Americans that we are.

But I am not picking up the phone for Telefund - ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment