Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Fashions for Senior Gals

O.K. I know there is a website out there written by a great guy who loves old ladies of fashion. I am paying attention. But I do not ever want to dye my eyelashes orange (what there are left of them!) At 72, 5 feet six inches and one hundred twenty-two pounds, I am the same as I was at 22. But not really..

I have always wanted to have my own signature style. I imagined kind of flowing garments, Eileen Fisher, sweeping the ground, classic, suggestive. I liked the idea of being able to cover up my wrinkled body, but maybe not.

My hairdresser now knows that I want a short style for my curly hair that I don't even have to brush out after a shower. I am happy with that.

My closet is full of things - the lovely light pink maxi skirt, a fuscia sleeveless top, gold sandals. But everyday I pull out the Chico jeans and a White Stag cotton tee shirt from Walmart, shove my feet into Birkenstock Arizona sandals, put in some colorful earrings and I am good to go all day.

I guess this is my style. Swim suits are problematic. Mostly, I swim in the nude since there is no one there. Actually, I have a huge number of bathing suits - all bad in one way or another. I hate that horrid time of making all those straps and tight criss crosses behave. I will don a swim suit when guests are here, of course. Will I wear that modest polka dot swim dress that takes ten minutes to put on, or will I wear the "cute" boy shorts with that incredibly uncomfortable top?

Old ladies, even thinnish ones as I am, have to think about how we will display our upper arms and thighs in the clothing of today. I have muscular upper arms, no flab. All good. But there are those horrid wrinkles! You can't wear Spanx all day and not be grouchy and touchy. You can't wear a bag over your head!

So, back to the loose and flowing garments. Except that you can't garden or use major tools or hike in those. I guess it's back to the jeans and tee shirts, wrinkles be damned. I am elderly and I will be comfortable. My style.


No comments:

Post a Comment