Monday, July 28, 2014

Big Brood

At this moment in time I am as perfectly satisfied as a grandma can be. My three children's kids- all eight of them, are just great!

Valentina and Emilio, our youngest, twins, are so amazing! They are precociously articulate (in both Spanish and English!). They are the youngest in a family of five siblings, and here you see Emilio with his biggest brother, Diego.

Caroline is eating ice cream and her cousin, Vale is regarding a flower.

I am awed by the expertise all our children have as as parents!

These modern parents seem to navigate among all the complexities of kids and stepchildren, several languages, and multiple layers of relations. They all pay real attention to their progeny in such thoughtful and loving ways it takes my breath away.  I see that my grandchildren are not all the regulation WASP blondes of my generation, though there are some of those.

Our parents, if they were still living, would be amazed , and maybe horrified, at the diversity of our extended family as it is now. But they would understand the underlying love and attention their great grandchildren have for all these kids.

These eight grandchildren are all being raised by the villages- Puerto Rican, Slavic, WASP, gay and straight, and who knows else? Our gatherings to celebrate everything are joyous occasions of different configurations and colors and ethnicities.

I salute these parents of kids who are our children. They are doing a wonderful job in uncertain times.


No comments:

Post a Comment