Sunday, November 01, 2015

Daylight saving time!

We knew to 'fall back' last night. We would have an extra hour! Our biological clocks need time to adjust, though, so we were awake at the hour we usually do- in the dark. And for the next couple of days we'll be hungry in the middle of the morning and not knowing when to go to bed!

I hate these changes! I wish we could be like the Chinese who have the same time zone throughout that vast country, no daylight saving time, just get used to it wherever you may be.

For several days after we have changed from one time to the other and back, I am always asking myself, "What time is it, actually? And what time was it at this time yesterday?"

Forget it.  Just go around the house and change all the clocks. The cuckoo clock, so low tech, is frantic, waiting for someone to pull the chain.  Our new technology in computers and cars and such do this seamlessly now. No longer do I have to see for months that the current car is an hour off and I must shuffle through the instructions about how to set the clock or not do it and forever more know that the car clock is an hour off. They are smarter than I, these modern car clocks and computers.

Several years ago, we went on a business trip to Arizona, just at the cusp of the change from daylight savings to standard time. We were invited for brunch at a reasonable time as we calculated, knowing that the time had changed, and we arrived at this home in an upscale community. (The boss was coming for brunch.) When we rang the doorbell a sleep disheveled teenager opened the door, OMG!
Lots of scuffling, shoving stuff under the furniture, yelps. I was charmed by the authenticity of Arizona hosting?

It wasn't until we left that I realized that we had probably arrived two hours earlier than we were expected! Arizona did not at this time make the change from Daylight savings time to standard time that most of the other states do.

I like dining by candle light, and with the time change this is possible. Tonight, though, it was so hot we had the fans churning.

So, now, I think it is earlier than I thought- or is it later?? I do know that when in the morning I go out to hear the dawn chorus of birds maybe I'll be able to see some of them.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:08 AM

    Are you ok? I am worried because since a such a long time you didn`t write any word.
    Best regards,
    Marta from Poland

    ReplyDelete