Tuesday, August 28, 2007

At Grandma's

Here is Joseph, three, who has discovered that he fits perfectly into the most expensive piece of art we have on the place. He knows nothing of the Navaho artist who wove this large basket. What he knows is that he is a funny jack-in-the box, entertaining us all with his antics. We applaud. Our whole family is here for the summer week to celebrate birthdays and our 47th wedding anniversary.

We have put away the guitar, pulled up the cuckoo clock weights and flipped the chains over the top. We have put the numerous remotes and clocks up high or in drawers and we have wedged the low books in tight. I have hidden the brooms and fly swatters. Cameras, keys, glasses and binoculars now live on a high kitchen shelf. The toddlers are here! Which is why I haven't posted in a long time.

There have been the usual disasters; the dishwasher quit in the midst of meals for sixteen, somehow one of the gates was left open and the cows couldn't be corralled for the August round-up, a pool hose broke. All was resolved and we are thankful the septic tank didn't back up (yet!). The carpets are thick with dog hairs and squashed raisins and cupcakes. The public spaces have Thomas the Tank running on tracks under your feet, and countless tiny (Chinese lead infested?) cars lie in wait for hapless barefooted adults.

All of our children and their spouses are incredibly competent so the cooking and cleanup is not an issue. Tolstoy was wrong. Happy families are not all alike. There are nuances, agendas, wishes and judgements happening all the time. Our children spend time together without us every evening in the guest house, and we hope they are communicating with each other over miles and time. They'll need to have this contact so that they can go forth into a world without us.

There were sixteen of us for the celebratory cake a couple of nights ago at our daughter's home in St. Petersburg. We were weary from so much sociability and family information. And there were many more days to go. Andy and I left the celebration, eager to return home and have a moment of quiet before everyone returned to the ranch.

Our new daughter-in-law came for this celebration. Before this, we didn't really know her (but her press was great!). I have got to say that the family was still playing those old tapes of her predecessor, my son's former wife. (We'll always love that 'ex') This was the best thing about the family reunion for me, my son's new wife, the beautiful and competent woman who has stepped into being a stepmother of three. Of all the 'kids' she was the one who really asked about us, the older generation.

These family reunions always have their surprises. I had been worried that our local grandson, huge for his age and not yet much of a talker, would be eclipsed by his eloquent cousin from Seattle. I worried that the six year old would not be able to relate to kids, one, two and three years old. Was I wrong! The little guys had a great time in the pool and playing with all those transportation toys. The only whining I heard was from the youngest, the only girl, the princess and so pretty! (She wanted blueberries!)

I find that I am tired of "young mom talk". I am tired of hearing about airline experiences (all bad,) At this point I just want to go to my studio and finish my painting..

To continue to know one's kids, you have to put in the time and make it all possible. I love them all so much!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment