Friday, August 10, 2007

The Girls

Every summer, several girls , who were my old students, come to visit us for a few days at the ranch. The deal is that their most important thing to do here is nothing. These girls are rising seniors in high school. I have known them since they were five years old. Now, I only see them once a year on their visit. Having them come is a highlight of summer for us.

They are very low maintenance guests. Because they have been here often they know where everything is and we all feel comfortable. They forage for breakfast and lunch, and for supper everyone pitches in. These young women are forthcoming, bright and interesting. They are world travelers, thoughtful and considerate. They give us an inside view of today's youth.

These kids are upper middle class, blessed with parents who love them, started out reading to them, then went on to taking them to lessons, private school, and orthodontia. Naturally, I feel easy with them. They could be my own kids.

So, we are easy with each other. As a NOT parent, I can ask them things, or listen to things or pay attention to stuff their parents can't. Kind of like a grandma- an old teacher. They must know I care enormously and see each of them as an individual. I love them.

It takes awhile to get into the groove. By this third day there have been many creative things going. I was blown away by the paintings, sewing projects, books read, essays written today. I do not feel with these kids that I have to be the camp councilor, sparking every activity. They are special, no doubt. They can hold their own in adult conversation, they are incredibly competent and thoughtful. (Their parents have raised them well!)

As something going into cyberspace I cannot name or post a photo of these wonderful and beautiful children who are not my own, not my grandchildren, but none the less are under my heart.

These kids, like most, seem incurious about us. But we tell them and show them what we are doing with our lives. They do not roll their eyes, but seem interested in what we are doing. I know it is too large a leap to go from seventeen to sixty- seven to think what their world will be like in similar circumstances. But we press them (and in the context say we are sorry for the mess our generation leaves to them.)

I have promised a movie night for all of us. Before this happens there will be a night swim in the pool. I must go and make popcorn.

My head is full of wonderful children. I am so blessed.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Molly,
    Alex put me on to your blog here and it's really interesting. I still remember my trips up to the ranch back in the Sunflower days; memories that are ingained in my mind mostl likely forever.

    By the way, this is Bobby. Ten bucks if you remember me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Molly, I'm sorry we ran out of time during our visit and I never got to read your memoir. I am still interested so I hope you email it to me some time.
    I am still planning to email you my extended essay (if I ever finish it) because I value your feedback as my teacher as much, if not more, than I value the feedback of any of my current teachers.
    Thank you, so so much for having us. I think this felt like our most special visit yet. Thank you very, very much for everything.

    Love, Katie

    ReplyDelete