Friday, August 14, 2009

One of the Best Things

Our nephew, Dan from California, visited us in Florida off and on from the time he was a very small boy. He got it in his head that he'd like to live here. After he graduated from Santa Cruz and batted around for a few years being a chef, he arrived here, a graduate student in Marine science. By this time we had despaired of having any of our children want to live here; they were all far away leading their lives (as we had taught them).
When Dan arrived, I was so happy. I never had any expectation that a member of the family would like to live here! Dan was always one we could count on (to take care of pets, house, emotional needs of his cousins.) Dan borrows money from us and pays it back, has the keys to our houses and hearts. He comes to visit us on the holidays and many other times as well. He is Family!
Sometimes we don't hear from him for days. But we always know he's there! A few years ago he began bringing Inia for family visits. Inia is a beautiful, smart, accomplished and lovely person ( and also a marine scientist on her way to the PhD) and all of us hoped this was becoming permanent.
They married last month, in her native Puerto Rico, and we all celebrated! Dan is finding that his niche is in teaching, and it seems he has much talent for the work. I hope they'll stay here in the neighborhood, at least for now. I do celebrate everyday. I hope their lives will be interesting, and I also hope they'll be here for a long time. Whatever happens, this time Dan has been here has been the best of the best for me.
As Grandma, I would love to see a grand niece or nephew or two.. But, in any case, I do appreciate the years with Dan, and now Inia.

No comments:

Post a Comment