Sunday, August 16, 2009

Philanthrophy

While I am waiting for the weather to break so I can start planting my seeds, the phone rings several times a day. These are people wanting MONEY. Sometimes, when the caller is identified, I don't pick up because I know they'll say," How are you tonight, ma'am?" (Why would a perfect stranger want to know how I am?? Should I really tell them?) Sometimes I am caught and that familiar hot toast feeling engulfs me. I know I am about to feel guilty about kids who are dying of various diseases, birds that are going extinct, people who are in jail for no good reason, police and fire departments that are going broke, universities that need funds, politicians that need help, polar bears who have lost their ice floes, and the local orchestra that needs major support. I believe in all these causes! This is hard. All these and many more smell blood (money).

Americans have traditionally been among the most generous globally. When there is a disaster- earthquake, tsunami, hurricane, volcano eruption, we pony up. Americans have given generously through their churches who funnel the funds to the needy. We give to United Way in our workplaces. But we are unwilling to be taxed.

I know very few people who donate to charities. I see the lists of donors in the back of the programs for the arts in our community. These are generally prosperous people (as are we) and they can be counted upon to support the arts or the hospital, or CASA, or whatever. I do know that it is a very tough sell to get board members to donate to the institution of the board on which they sit!

It is even a harder sell to get the younger generation to donate to a philanthropic cause. I do believe that to whom much is given, much is expected. Some people tithe to their churches. We, not church goers, have always done this, and more.

I am not aware that most of my friends and family give to charities. Some are pinching every penny, I know. This world needs some redistribution of wealth and if you can give five bucks to saving polar bears or sick kids or your local orchestra, go for it. It's only a super size burger away, and hey, your body will appreciate it.

Thanks from Pollyanna!

No comments:

Post a Comment