Friday, February 26, 2010

All those little gray boxes

Last night I was vegged out on the couch with the dog watching the last of the Olympic figure skaters. My husband finally went to bed and as he left he handed me a remote. When the last lovely skater was waiting for her scores, and my eyes were at half mast, I clicked the power button, and baloop, the screen went dark. You'd think that it was turned off, ready for the next day. But, no! I had done something wrong. When, the next evening, my husband wanted to watch PBS, the t.v. was all screwed up.

In our life we must have more than ten remotes for t.v.'s and radio and such. And each one of these has many many buttons and functions and applications and menus and ways to reach god.

Sorry to sound like Andy Rooney! It's kind of like learning a foreign language to manage these remotes. I know it is more difficult for us rural folk who must rely on iffy satellites to connect with the world. But still, why does it have to be so hard? Why is it that when I want to simply play a video for my grandson, I have to man two remotes and remember seventeen different actions to actually get "Curious George" on board? Aargh!

On my desk I have my three little bricks: my cell phone, my camera, and my ipod touch. I love them all and they have their uses. I especially love the ipod because it expects nothing from me, has a long battery life, and accompanies me with music when I garden and walk and tells me bird calls. This is an easy tech machine, no problem. I have come to know my complicated camera because I always use it. My cell phone is still an enigma. (If it's so smart, why is it so hard to use?) I should have gotten one of those basic old fart models!

My computer, my friend, system 7, works just fine for me. Nothing these days comes with instructions (as has always been the case with kids). You just have to figure it out on a case by case basis.

Even if the remotes are too remote for me to use comfortably, now I can get everything on my computer!

All this will be resolved soon. Remember when all washing machines had computers on board and touch pads and such? No more. We just want to wash the clothes and the manufacturers found this out. I am hoping the remote folks will pay attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment