Friday, February 12, 2010

Something new to learn

Being out here in the boondocks, our satellite sometimes doesn't work, so no new image tonight.

Every year I try to learn or do something different and challenging and new to me. My project for this year is to learn Spanish. When I visited Colombia in October, I felt so deficient in my ability to get along in Spanish, I vowed to do better.

People told me that on line I could get some free language lessons. How to choose? I went for the Pimsleur method and they sent me ten lessons for free. This takes a half hour each day so I stick in the CD and sit back in my chair, totally focused, speaking back to those speakers who ask how many beers I want and is my husband sick. By now, I am way past those ten free lessons and am cheerfully paying into eternity. They ask you, almost make you sign in blood, that you will NOT look at anything written. You are learning how to speak in Spanish as a child would, all by ear.

As I progress, now almost half way through Spanish 2, I realize I can really operate on a pretty basic level. This week I attended a two hour meeting with Mexican women who were debating what should be done to make a float for a parade. With tremendous focus I could understand everything and I could even speak when asked. I can even speak in several tenses! And they understand (and don't laugh).

Getting over the hurdle of actually speaking out loud is hard, but I put myself out there having to do it. These women are with me on making a community garden so we have to talk about it and I often have to ask the names of vegetables. They are so happy to deal with my halting Spanish and I am amazed that they can understand me.

Learning a foreign language humbles me. I see all the kids I deal with each week who are bilingual. Here they are at a young age, functioning in two languages. I am determined to do it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment