Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thankful

Here are kids at Lacoochee school preparing a Stone Soup meal. They are chopping and paring vegetables that will go into soup pots with some meat and seasonings and the stones, of course. Whoever gets a stone is lucky. The story of Stone Soup is well known, a sharing experience of how many hungry folks came together to make something all could enjoy.

Forty kids pared and peeled and chopped those vegetables I brought from our garden. While some kids did the prep, others were working on Thanksgiving cards, so everyone was busy.

I am amazed that the classes in this school do not celebrate holidays in the ways that connect school to home. They do not make sure that kids make gifts for their families. Nor do they decorate and celebrate for the usual American holidays. I am thinking about why this would be?

But I am thankful to be a volunteer in this remote school where I have learned so much about our culture. I am thankful to know so many wonderful kids who have taught me so much.

I am thankful that I have such a large and loving family who will surround the table tomorrow and eat the traditional turkey and salmon

No comments:

Post a Comment