Tuesday, November 09, 2010

When will there be good news?


This is the view I see out the window over my desk. In this season the huge pink zinnias that grow in an old claw foot bathtub are covered with butterflies, relentlessly cheerful to remind me of the predictable repetition of the natural world.

And such a comfort that is in this last period when all the news was bad. My dear Friend, Nidia, died unexpectedly. She was sixty-one and there was so much left for her to do, so much of her joy to share. Her hundreds and probably thousands of friends are wild with grief. We gathered last evening for a memorial. So many hugs and tears and recollections of her life. Her three beautiful daughters and her husband and her Chilean family were magnificent, their faces so grief stricken and reflecting that strong beauty of this incredible mother who was so competent and generous to us all. The children in our school, where Nidia taught Spanish for so many years, wrote touching letters of condolence and decorated them with drawings. Producing these was not only such a gift to our community of Nidia's friends, it helped them- kids and friends through such a hard time.

So, today in the glorious blue of Florida fall, I took a long walk to look at the river and think about all Nidia meant to us, the person she was and how her life touched ours. It's going to take a long time for me to knit this knot into the fabric of my life. When someone you love dies before their time, it's so hard. And we vow to appreciate every day and every person more.

My daughter went to the memorial service with me. She knew Nidia well, and her small son was in Nidia's Spanish group. When he heard about Nidia's death, he cried and asked "How am I going to learn Spanish?" He drew a love heart for Nidia and I included it in my letter to the family.

I am realizing all over again how important it is for me to still stay connected and generous to family and friends. And the news will be getting better.

No comments:

Post a Comment