Thursday, March 03, 2011

Why I do this

I love these Thursdays when I do my volunteering in the Lacoochee community. Here are Ta-jay and Ney-ney in the pool hall of the Boys and Girls Club. Ta-jay has just told me that he is African, but when I ask him if he knows from where in Africa, he draws a blank.
I love these kids! Ta-jay comes to my algebra math class faithfully every Thursday. He struggles with basic math facts, as do so many of the ten kids who come. After five classes, there are two boys who have perfect attendance and have zoomed ahead. Today, I spoke to all the kids about their achievement and what it could possibly mean to their lives. Of course, just being there means a lot. Many of them do not get this yet.
These kids do not have to be there. There are no tests, no homework, all I require is that they be there and try to focus. Today, a new kid appeared and I tried to tell him that we were full and couldn't take in a new person who would have to start from the beginning. But he persevered and kept popping up behind the most advanced kids. Next week, I'll probably relent and let him join the group.
So, why is this optional and pretty advanced math class taught by an old lady such a compelling thing to do for middle school mostly male loutish kids? I don't know. Maybe these kids are really interested in math, maybe interested in a creative sort of math that is NOT FCAT! Maybe they are interested in having a teacher who hunkers down one on one to really explain. Maybe they are engaged with a teacher who understands their problems and can address them. Maybe they see the need to have something interesting happening. So, they come! And I am there, predictably every Thursday afternoon.


And here are those lovely second graders, today eating the strawberries I brought from a local farm. Bernice, Kimberly and Elissa have taken a break from flying paper airplanes they have made and flown around the playground. All the seventeen kids have been joyfully running around outdoors, full of the wonder of the young.

I love this place where I am so affirmed by the kids who have known me for the last four years. They know how much I love them. There will be a few who go on to climb mountains and I hope I will be the person who gave them a boost.

Our hummingbirds returned today, right on schedule. What a good omen!

1 comment: