Sunday, August 14, 2011

Getting Ready!

It is so hot that one can't possibly think of going out in the garden to weed. But we have made some new raised beds and they are ready to take out to the garden. The new seeds have arrived and I have already planted the new cauliflower and arugula starts. The rest of all the seeds will be directly planted in the new beds.

But for now we are enjoying all the hundreds of butterflies and bees and hummingbirds visiting the huge crop of volunteer red sage, zinnias, and butterfly plants that have taken over the plot. My daughter took several red sage plants to plant in her garden but it hardly makes a dent in the profusion. Soon I will have to take out the volunteer morning glories that climb on every available part of the fence.

Last night my grandson Quincy and I went out to set and bait the traps we hoped would capture the pesky armadillos that continue to root around in the garden. Quincy thought that wet dog food would attract them and he was right. This morning there were two oppossums in the traps. He went out with grandpa to let them go a mile away on the edge of the property. The armadillos are still at large..

Right now I cannot keep perseverating about national politics. So, I am enjoying the here and now of life on the ranch at the edge of the Green Swamp, gardening, working on local volunteering in the Lacoochee community and entertaining the many guests who come. I try not to listen to NPR too much!

My mission right now is to spread the word about good eating! Everyone needs to grow at least some of their own food. In addition to the school/community garden, I will be distributing plant starts and containers full of potting soil to the families who come to the "clay nights" we'll have at the elementary school this fall. When we hosted 'Art Camp' this summer, the kids and parents really loved the fruits and vegetables we served. This stuff is expensive, I know, so anything I can do to encourage a good diet with fresh vegetables is a small but positive thing.

This weekend my husband, the cook, made an exquisite soup! Two parts of peeled tomatoes, one part of peeled peaches, sauted onion. Cook it down until soft. Not long! Then puree it all in a blender or giraffe or food processor. Chill. Add minced tarragon and some heavy cream. Serve in chilled bowls. Yum!




2 comments:

  1. Anne Chiarelli4:27 AM

    Maybe next spring I'll ask to pick your brain about growing plants in containers. Last year's experiment didn't prove too successful and I didn't try this time around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that the New York Times recipe? If not, ask Andy to please send: if it is, I can get it on line. Sounds great.

    ReplyDelete