Friday, August 19, 2011

This Paradise

I stand outside my studio as the light fades, huge pink and purple clouds on the horizon, promising future rain. The bats are out, intent on the flying bugs. Listening to music blasting out from my ipod, I am happy. No one here forever: our property spreads as far as the eye can see. Only the cows are heading this way and they will lie down for the night in the tall grass.

Of course there are so many things we have to do here, especially in this rainy season when everything grows so rampantly. This morning when it was somewhat cooler we put in a couple of hours readying the vegetable garden for the fall. We must have removed ten bushels of weeds and there is still more to be done. We placed the raised beds where we wanted them. Neither of can bear to remove the huge red sage bushes that attract so many butterflies. And how long can we let those volunteer zinnias stay? The compost pile is covered with morning glories and zinnias except for that small place where I dig in the daily
 kitchen scraps.

My usual computer is in sick bay due to a dysfunctional power source, so bear with me as I write on a tiny device, no photos possible.

The huge wall in my studio is covered with many pieces of beautiful fabric, squares and triangles. This quilt will be for Quincy, the grandchild I know best. I plan to make each grandchild in the youngest tier a quilt for Christmas. That leaves two to go after these. On the large work table are six table mats in the making. I love fabric!

And so much else! We are off to Maine for a few days to visit my oldest friend who lives on the edge of a bay there.

No comments:

Post a Comment