Tuesday, March 06, 2012

Just a fantasy, maybe?

I pushed for it in this poorest of poor public schools, but still I was given the eight brightest kids in the fourth grade. I am a volunteer! I proposed that I would teach them algebra. I had all the materials required; all I needed was some space and a time slot.

So, for many weeks those eight kids from several different classrooms appear once a week to do math with 'Ms. Molly'. Right on the dot they come, and with no fanfare, they get out their folders and their math materials and start to work.

We have one hour. I like to begin the class by presenting them with something intriguing that I think will expand their minds. I have brought such things as an interesting sound machine, Russian nesting dolls, a pedometer, a pack of cards or an interesting game. I give them strategies.

Then they are eager to get to work. By now they are easily navigating positive and negative. They are familiar with how algebra can solve just about anything! They help each other, consult, tutor, and rejoice in the amazing math we are doing.
We often speak to each other about learning styles. By now, many weeks in, we know who needs to be at a separate work station, who needs to know immediately if they are on the right track. (Ms. Molly, is this right??) I know which kids really work best standing up, which kids need to tell me something that happened to them before they can begin concentrated work. They always ask if I could please, please have lunch with them. They love it when I can because I let them eat outside and then spend quality time rolling down hill or playing freeze tag and they talk, talk to me.

And through all of this I am just free with these amazing kids. No one ever comes into our class, no one ever checks up, we have quiet in our space (which is usually a spare room full of extra tables, chairs and desks and vacuum cleaners) But for this hour a week this is our place..

My fantasy is that these kids will someday be really important persons in their communities. How can I make this happen? So far I work alone (and I salute this school for trusting me). I have never heard from a parent or from anyone in the school. Once, I corralled a teacher I know and showed him some of the work we are doing.

I am no Mr. Lang (the guy who told every sixth grader in NYC that he would pay for college if they continued on and graduated from high school.) We are barely up to the one percent, fairly prosperous but with many family obligations. We are saving for the college educations of eight grandchildren!

So, how can I even begin to make it possible for these eight gifted kids to have the vision of what unimaginable stuff they could do with the brains they have? These kids have few resources, some of them are undocumented. They come from fragmented families or working families who could never think about Harvard or Duke (if they even knew about Ivy League or equivalent) But they have brilliant kids! Hah!

I am thinking that I need to get the parents on board, start with a summer camp program.
These kids are NOT to be left behind! We need their talents in our society. These kids do not have helicopter parents who smoothly pave the way for them. These kids need to have a vision of where they can go and excell and put their mark on the world.

Somehow, I am determined to be part of opening that window for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment