Tuesday, October 08, 2013

Everything changes all the time!

These kids are two of my eight grandkids. Next week they are coming to visit, and now, they are much bigger, several million words advanced from then - and still, just as cute, now connected to Kindle Fire.

I wish I could say the same about my life in the digital world! Everything changes, but it is not as cute. A couple of months ago I replaced my old p.c. laptop with a new and wonderful desktop Mac with a huge screen. There were no instructions whatsoever - because Apple is intuitive! It always works fast, no problems with viruses.

But I have so many issues! With my iPhone and iPad I have been charmed by their seemingly seamless interfaces. However, since my iPhone was recently updated, I can no longer download photos to iPhoto on my computer. I don't know how to make the wireless printer work with these things. I can't send email on my iPad. And in the iPhoto program I still can't send photos as an album. Of course there are many ways around Robin's Hood barn with a Mac and I try all of them. No luck. I have asked my young friends with Macs who visit to have a go at helping on these issues, and eventually, they seem as clueless as me. The outcomes are strange and I have to reconfigure what I know. On line help is useless to me.

Yes, I could take some classes on Mac use if I went on an hour and  half commute each way to Tampa, but there I would not have my own computer or my own internet access or printer - aargh! I really need some friendly knowledgeable person who could come here, hunker down with me for a couple of hours, and fix these issues.

Many of my elderly friends have taken a different route. The have basic cell phones, old computers that at least do email, maybe print out stuff. But I want more! And I want to know how to do it!

But I have a pretty good attitude about all of this by now. Life goes on and mine is pretty good, and maybe, one day soon, a Mac person will show up (or I'll figure out how to find him or her) and all my issues will be resolved.

Everything changes all the time, it's true. I want to be in the midst of those changes and that's true too.


1 comment:

  1. Roger5:44 AM

    I feel your pain. I recently bought a new keyboard (Korg Krome Music Workstation) I wondered why there was no printed instruction manual with it? Ah, it came with a CD with the manuals on that in your choice of 6 languages. Fine. My choice: English. The manual is in 4 parts: "Quick Start" is 23 pages. "Operation Guide" is 136 pages. "Parameter Guide" is 372 pages, and the "List of Sounds Library" is 108 pages. I couldn't learn all this in what time I have left on earth!

    ReplyDelete