Monday, November 11, 2013

Beat with a buzzard

Here is Lola, fifteen years old. Today she had ten! teeth removed. Maybe it was worse for me. Used to be when I asked my mom how her day had been, if it was awful, she'd say, "I feel like I was beat with a buzzard".

Well, today I was beat with a buzzard. I had no choice. It seemed that this wonderful one blue eyed lovely dog had major tooth infection and she was in pain. When I signed her into the vet, I assented to the disclaimer that sometimes something happens!  So I went to a political luncheon in Tampa with my phone on vibrate.

The vet's office called me and said that all was well, she was in recovery, and I could pick her up that afternoon.  When I got there and she heard my voice from the office she began what we call the dog opera. I was so glad to hear her saying that she was o.k. I could hardly pay attention to the post operative instructions. (Do you want to save the teeth for the tooth fairy?) Gak!

We all love our animals so much. As I left off Lola this morning there was a couple in the next car in the parking lot. They were telling their huge black dog goodbye and they were shaking with tears. I touched the woman and told her how very sorry I was. I know that I will be there in that same place sooner than I'd like.

Even this evening, I have hunkered down next to Lola's crate where she's holed up in some pain. I stroke her ears and tell her what a good girl she is, how much I love her, and that tomorrow will be better. A small amount of blood from the surgery drips from her mouth and I am not sure she'd do well sleeping in the bed with us (as she has for her whole life). But I will ask her. I know I will check on her many times during the night.

I had thought that at Lola's advanced age this kind of dental surgery would just be over the edge. But our vet said that this would be fine and she'd feel a lot better for it. So, you take your chances. I keep feeling Lola's side to see if she's still breathing..

I am imagining that young dachshund who ran and leaped and had fun with toys, who spent many miles with us as we walked in the Green Swamp. Don't think this will happen again, but, hey, she loves her rides in the golf cart!




No comments:

Post a Comment