Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Free Day!

Once in awhile I have a free day, no meetings, no classes for kids, no commute the 65 miles to see friends in my old community. And so, I hunker down in my studio and paint. Right now I am painting a large vision of Victorians, stiff and sitting for their portrait. Right now it is all potential. Tomorrow I will have to remove it from the table so it will be free for a clay workshop when ten people will come to make earthenware planters. These folks will come and have some hours of creativity, energetic talk, and a soup and salad lunch from the garden.

I really enjoy these adults, so different from the needs of the kids in my class you see in the photo here who made scarecrows to discourage the sandhill cranes from all their pecking in our community garden for kids. But what they all have in common is the desire to make things. The kids have made wonderful clay planters, kind of rough, and they are waiting in the queue to be fired.

I have rolled out the clay slabs in anticipation for the group to come. I love it that adults who have no experience with sculpture/clay take a chance and end up loving it! Unlike the kids' classes, I do not have to get my energy up to make it happen. It is a gentle thing to conduct a class for adults who want to be here.

Free days mean I can exercise my three miles with weights, do my language lessons, do my meditation walk in the woods, and anything else. So great to be retired!

No comments:

Post a Comment