Friday, August 25, 2006

Anniversary tomorrow

Tomorrow is our forty-sixth wedding anniversary. I remember it because our oldest son was born on this day, five years after our marriage. We are not romantic souls; on a few occasions I remember receiving roses at work, but mostly we have not especially noted the day. One year, to the horror of our daughter, we went out and bought a garden tiller! But, mostly, there is nothing either of us wants. We live pretty frugally and can't think of anything we want from each other that we don't have already.
Even after all these years he can surprise me. There have been long dry stretches when I have felt unappreciated. We have had terrible arguements. With each anniversary, roses or not, we sort of recommit. Tomorrow we have a date to speak to each other about what this year's marriage has been for each of us.
It has been raining most of the day, a blessing right now when everything has been so dry even for the so-called rainy season. I was working in my studio glazing the ceramic objects made by my primary students. Then I had to load them into the kiln, all with stilts so they won't stick to the shelves. When I walk up to the main house I am thrilled by the green views and the cows in the distance. I notice that a lot of gardening needs attention.

2 comments:

  1. I no longer feel horror at the garden tiller now that I have my own marriage, garden and budget! I do still look up to you two as an example of following through on the work of marriage. Remember, you have to make it at least another 4 years so we can have an excuse for a big party!

    I love you both. Thank you for being stubborn enough to see things through.

    -E

    ReplyDelete
  2. I no longer feel horror at the garden tiller now that I have my own marriage, garden and budget! I do still look up to you two as an example of following through on the work of marriage. Remember, you have to make it at least another 4 years so we can have an excuse for a big party!

    I love you both. Thank you for being stubborn enough to see things through.

    -E

    ReplyDelete