Thursday, August 24, 2006

August 24, 2006

August 24, 2006

It has been awhile since I last posted. The oldest grandchildren have gone, and I have taken a trip to Maine to visit an old childhood friend. It was wonderful to take a trip by myself, no expectations, just the time to see a woman I grew up with. For a person who lives in subtropical Florida, being in coastal Maine was an August treat. No need for air conditioning, open windows, hikes along the coast without breaking a sweat. Without spouse or children, it was freeing.
When I returned the dog greeted me with many barks and loving licks, there was a wonderful supper in the works, and the owls were calling. I love this place in Florida!
As a retired person I am still trying to get a schedule going! There are so many things calling for my attenion: the community boards I sit on, the one day a week I volunteer in a local classroom, the ranch needs, the vegetable garden, physical activity, the book I am writing, our social life. When I stop to wonder at the incredible work of a golden orb weaver spider or the magnificent blooms of the ironweeds my old work ethic comes back- "You don't have the time for this!". But, now, I do.
I am constant in taking the time to be with Quincy, my almost two year old grandson. He's not very verbal yet so our time together is mostly me talking. He accompanies me on errands and sometimes we go to parks and museums. I see him in the rearview mirror. He's interested in all the stuff we pass. He tries to help with the car seat as I get him in and out of this diabolical array of straps. I think sometimes that I am too old for all of this! Scrunch down, fold up, undo all the straps, lift the baby! But it is all worth it. He is entranced with the museum, the carwash, the post office. He lifts his beautiful face for a kiss. He is so jolly! He never whines or cries. But I have to be on duty incessantly. I wonder, how did I ever do this as a parent of three?

1 comment:

  1. I'm so grateful that you have time for it all now! I certainly can't imagine having 3 kids either I feel lfull with 1 and lots of help. Imagine if our family weren't the type to seek out the far corners of the country - you could be having regular babysitting gigs with 2 pre-teens, 1 1st grader and 3 Pre-ks!

    I agree about the freedom of travelling alone. I think it is a universal feeling amongst those who like travel anyway. Even the airplane ride has its perks - no one can call you there, you have to just sit and read and be calm. Hmm... I see an idea for an article.

    -E

    ReplyDelete