Friday, September 01, 2006

Celebrations, September 1, 2006

Night before last we had a celebration of the birthdays of two of my dearest friends. Jay and Susie share a birthday so they came with their spouses for a celebratory dinner cooked by Andy. Also present were my daughter, Elizabeth, her partner, Gina, and their almost two year old, Quincy. We gathered in St. Pete this time, not at our usual home at the ranch. The whole evening was raucous and fun. Wonderful food, begun with Maria's hors d'oeuvres, Peter's champagne, many toasts, good talk. Then Andy's dinner of pork tenderloin, two kinds of salad, wild rice, and I forget what else. Elizabeth made an incredible chocolate cake which was adorned with many candles. Quincy ran around after the balloons. We had many totally tasteless birthday cards and blowouts with the horns.

After they all left there was a mountain if dishes. Strangely enough, I do not mind cleaning up after these celebrations. I think about all the wonderful people in my life, some of them here tonight. While the first load was going through the dishwasher I called Susie to tell her what I had not mentioned when she was here; I am so glad that she is now free of breast cancer and that she goes forth so enthusiastically about her own daughters.

I celebrate every day that I am here in this wonderful place, my dream home.

1 comment:

  1. It was fun, and the food so good that I just stopped being full tonight! It is nice to have things to celebrate, and also to have an open heart that allows for an expansive network of loved ones.

    ReplyDelete