Saturday, September 30, 2006

Life on the ranch

For the price of a medium used car we are now the owners of a herd of cattle: twenty commercial grade cows of various ages, a lame bull, and a tiny calf. These cows, with some substitutions over the years, have been here since we bought the place fifteen years ago. They were actually owned by a guy who ran them on our place, fixed fences, and the roads because we needed the cattle here for our agricultural tax exemption and to keep the open spaces "mowed".

This man had a stroke and became disabled. He needed to sell the cows. He was always pretty cheap with feed and fertilizer. But we didn't care, we didn't have to be concerned with anything but looking at those wonderfully pastoral creatures crunching with lowered heads,lowering the tax, smelling sweet with grass and in the distance.

With our dear neighbor, Warren, we decided to buy the herd. Warren would do the work and we'd see what profit could come of this. Warren knows cows and he knows the country so we feel secure there. I've had a few ideas about making this herd a grass fed, maybe organic operation, no hormones, no finishing the calves at feedlot. I check out library books on cattle husbandry and I avidly read "Progressive Farmer". We talk to our rancher neighbors about the price per pound of calves at market.

An article in the New York Times this week described people such as us as 'lifestyle' or 'hobby' farmers. I guess. For at least a while we will continue to deal with the cows as they have been. Warren has ideas about how to feed them more nutritiously. We talk about rotation of pastures. I think this new adventure will take time.

This morning, Andy had to make an errand run to the tractor supply company to get a new battery for the solar powered electric gate to the ranch. I went along because I love that place. He checked out the battery department (out of what we needed) and I swooned in the boots department, grooving on the sharp new leather smell of authentic boots, and then I tried on cowgirl hats. In the parking lot outside I had to stop where bands of small cub scouts were selling hot boiled (Bald) peanuts, hot dogs and popcorn to raise money for something. There were pony rides going on too, and the odors of the remembered leather boots, horse flesh, and trashy food were all mixed up.

I love this life! I love it for itself and I love it because I have other options. We had to stop at Farmers' Feed to see if they had the battery we needed. They did. I love this place too. I love the huge sign board they have up displaying the price of hay rolls, equestrian kibbles, cattle nutrition pellets, chickens, rabbit feed. I love talking to Tim, the manager about the difference between onion plants and onion sets, which kind of collards is best.

When I was in the fifth grade we took something called the Kuder Preference Test. This was supposed to indicate what we would really like to do in our future lives. I came out equally as forest ranger, artist, and social worker. This has proved to be true! Maybe not quite forest ranger, but certainly I have that deep interest in everything that lives outdoors (cows!). My days are mostly spent in artistic activities, and I have been a teacher all my life.

The herd of cows, ours, are now moving past my studio. Now that we have a fence there, they cannot come into the courtyard. I think they are looking at the cucumber vine and the tubs of chrysanthemums out of reach.

Many of you read this and e-mail me. That's great, and thank you. But it isn't really hard to sign onto a blog so you can comment and be part of a dialog. Just try it. You won't lose your soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment