Saturday, November 04, 2006

The Comforts of Home

Walking down the driveway from the house to my studio tonight the full moon casts shadows and reflects off the metal roofs and the glossy oranges. I hear the music playing above the summer sounds of crickets and I look back towards the big screened porch with the twinkling lights where Andy is working on a jigsaw puzzle. I am headed for a Saturday evening of painting in this room of my own.

It has been a long time since we have had a regular weekend with our own small routines we love so much: the morning walk with the dog, BLT's for breakfast ( a run out to the garden for the lettuce),reading the paper on the porch, discussing the politics of the day, checking e-mail and working outdoors on our various projects. We listen for the daily bugling of the sandhill cranes as they come in to land near the pond.

These dry days I must be constantly watering the flower beds. I need to weed the vegetable garden and tie up the tomatoes and check for worms on the cucumbers. Andy will begin to make sure we have enough wood ready for those few days we can have a fire in the fireplace.

We love our family and friends but we need to have these occasional weekends of not being the good hosts, just being us with a comfort food supper and the quiet of the night listening to the owls and coyotes somewhere out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment