Saturday, November 11, 2006

Weekend Grandparents

Until just a few minutes ago I was sitting in the dark in a rocking chair, (the one we bought forty years ago for our first son) rocking Quincy to sleep. He was visiting us overnight without his parents. He has just turned two, our youngest grandson, the one we see several times a week since he lives close by. He snuggled up to my chest and clasped his lovey, stroking the satin made so soft from hours of delicate fondling with a small starfish hand. His other hand, the thumb, is in his mouth. He has had a cold so there is a tiny amount of snuffling.

It has been such a long time since I have had to slow down for a small child. I can barely remember rocking my own three to sleep, though I must have done. I think as I rock silently, except for the snuffling, what an immense amount of time a parent puts in that is purely devoted to their child. While I am rocking in the dark, holding this beloved small person, I am not doing anything else. I am just there, secure and loving Grandma, totally devoted and mindful of the moment we are in. I am not thinking about 'to do' lists, I am not thinking about the mess in the kitchen, or what tomorrow will bring. I am not even thinking that this rocking could be the new meditation exercise.

In the very dim light I can see his eyelashes flutter. Sleep will come soon. I think of this wonderful gift of a day with Quincy. He seemed to sing little songs all the time in a sweet high chirp. Now, words and sentences are coming in by the minute, some of it even understandable by us. He got up from his nap in a great mood, full of smiles and that wry way he puts his mouth to express delight.

Grandpa was waiting to take Quincy to the grocery store. I could use the time to do the watering of flowers and vegetables, check e-mail, talk to the ranch manager. When they returned, we unloaded the groceries, and then it was time for me to give Andy a much needed haircut. I thought it would be good if we did it outside next to the fish pond which Quincy loves. I got through the sideburns and then had to run and check on where Quincy had got to. He was on the other side of the house, on the porch by the outside shower annointing himself with shampoo and very pleased. I brought him back to keep an eye out while I trimmed the rest of Andy's hair. Now, at least Quincy was in view, climbing the fence. It was a very quick haircut!

Quincy loves to be a part of the household doings, especially cooking. He climbs up on a step stool to watch the proceedings. Today I made green playdough for him and he mashed this with forks and cooking doodads as he watched Andy preparing dinner. This boy is amazingly easy on stuff. He never breaks anything so we give him free reign of our belongings. He also generally puts things back.

It is so interesting to get a second shot at the observation of children you love. We have six grandchildren. Our oldest one, Diego, and his brother Pablo, are really close to us. They spent so much time living here and then visiting often.

Diego, Pablo, and Quincy are the ones I know and they are certainly under my heart. Silvio, Diego and Pablo's brother, was my favorite baby, but he left the area before he was a year old, and since then, he has been a remote grandchild. I am looking forward to getting to know him. I do know that he is such a stellarly bright boy already, we should get ready. Joseph and Caroline live as far away geographically from us as one can live but we make the effort to visit several times a year, and sometimes they come to Florida.

Joseph, almost three, is the undisputed King of grandchildren!(Quincy will give him a run for the money!) Joseph, and Caroline, who will be a year old in March, have both parents in constant attendance. When I phone my son, Chris, and both kids are with him in his work studio, I hear background chortles from happy children. I heard from my son Ben, who was visiting his brother, that Natalie, Joseph and Caroline's mom, takes the kids down the driveway to a big puddle, calls it "the beach", sets up a folding chair, and lets the kids doodle around in the water, dig with buckets and spades. Hey, this is Seattle!

In a week we are going out to see the Washington State grandchildren, Joseph and Caroline. I know they will not recognize us. In the week we are there they will get to know us slightly. Joseph (the King) will be charming, and his princess sister will be charming as well. I wish that I could have the quantity time with them I have with Quincy. I would love to rock Caroline to sleep or read incredible stories to Joseph. I would not expect them to be always charming.

However one's grandchildren happen and wherever they live, they are ferociously loved by their grandparents.

For all of us who are grandparents, we love being with our grandkids, and it is a gift we couldn't have imagined.

No comments:

Post a Comment