Saturday, January 14, 2012

Life is sweet!

Here is Quincy, seriously regarding the making of the cane syrup at the Pioneer Florida Museum today. It was a day for the old geezers out in full force in a chilly Florida morning. He had already ridden the mule, Molly, who walked around the circle powering up the squeezing of the sugar cane stalks. (Later, as we kissed good night he told me that this was the best thing about today.)

We toured the village and rode the kumquat barrel train and inspected everything, including the gift shop which deserved such attention before deciding on what trinket to purchase. We looked at the menu for lunch there and decided that home for lunch was best.
This age, a young seven, is so amazing! I look back on my own kids and regret that I did not appreciate them so much for this transforming age. I was too crazed being a working mom and trying to be all things to everyone. Little league, swim team, soccer, my work, a fascinating spouse, the spark of our home.
So, now, I have the ease and time to be a wonderful grandma to this beautiful boy I have known since his birth when he was a tiny tune lying on my belly breathing in and out like magic.
He has spent time with us since he finished breastfeeding, so we know about diapers and intercoms at night, lugging him around, potty training etc. Voila! He's now seven and sensible and independent. Dinners have really good conversations and many questions. And after dinner Quincy pitches in to clean up the kitchen, loads the dishwasher and dries the salad bowl.
Then he goes upstairs to take a bath and get ready for bed. Though he is a competent reader now, he loves the time when I read outloud to him and he cuddles against me.
No doubt, I am getting old. But not too old to be an important person in this child's life.
I would love to have my other young grandchildren in my life, but they live far away and don't know us very much. The older three grandchildren have been in our life forever. Such a pleasure!
And now, we are to have twins in the family! Life goes on, life is sweet, and I know from this Quincy grandson, one must just have to take the sweetness as it lands on you.





1 comment:

  1. I truly enjoyed your sweet story early this morning. How truly blessed we are as parents and then again as a grandparent. being a grandparent must be the rainbow at the end of raising children. I hope to experience that soon with the birth of our first grandchildren. Thank you for your blog.

    ReplyDelete