Sunday, January 29, 2012

The Wedding today

Jarrod and Rebecca are exchanging their wedding vows today on our property in the Green Swamp. They are beautiful young people with everything before them in life. You see here the three year old, Rebecca's son who was certainly a beloved member of the wedding. Rebecca's dad, a cleric, officiated.

I loved this wedding that was just a small and intimate gathering of the immediate family. No fuss, no great expense, but great expectations. Jarrod is the son of our long time friend, Steve, who has been in our life since we built our house here. Steve has painted and constructed so much for us! His work is in every single thing on this ranch. Jarrod grew up to be his dad's helper. The two of them spent hours painting the guest house so it was quite fitting that the wedding would be here.

What weird stuff we do! When the wedding was over and everyone had stepped over the cow pies and repaired to their cars, Andy and I went back to the main house to finish reading the Sunday papers, do some gardening and get on with Sunday afternoon activities. We declined the invitation to go to the reception at the Pearl in the Grove.

There were some Martha Stewart moments for me when I wanted to take flowers to the room where the bride dressed. And I wanted to put pink balloons on the gate. (I have been the mom for so many weddings!) But I did not do any of these things.

I gave the groom a handsome check for a wedding gift. And in three hours everyone left for the reception. I am hoping that Jarrod and Rebecca will have one night in a good motel. Soon enough reality will be upon them as they wend their way with a three year old and a newborn child and all of them will be living with Rbecca's parents.

What an amazing life this is! I always look at life half full, certainly for Jarrod and Rebecca.

No comments:

Post a Comment