Sunday, April 22, 2012

Too old to be a Mudder!

Here is my daughter in the middle of a 'mud' run. She has just slid down a huge slide into a large puddle of mud. Her team of six ran and slithered and jumped and scrambled the hurdles for more than three miles. They all helped each other, as did all the other teams out there in the hot sunshine of a Florida spring. Many of them were in 'costume' with tutus or colorful headgear.

I love this sport where everyone helps each other out, everyone is laughing and having fun playing. We all need to do this! As I watched this happen, something new for me, I thought "I could do this!". And I thought that it would be so much fun to have an abbreviated course for kids.

We had the team and their clack over for showers and lunch after the race. Twenty minutes after they got home there were YouTube videos complete with captions and music sent out to everyone.

And I had taken some photos of the event and wanted to share these and some other photos with family and friends. The photo sharing site had completely changed since the last time I used it a few days ago. Like detergent, this is a new and better! Hard to navigate for a person of my generation! Who knows where those photos are going?? Into the ether? To Mars? And how would I apply a musical score to them (as if I knew anything but Mozart and Bach?) And are they important in any way, does anyone care beyond the moment?  But we all want to do it.

I read an article by Anna Quindlen in the paper today (Yes, I still read stuff on actual paper!). It was about getting rid of stuff in your life, but hanging on to memories. So, why do I think that my wonderful happiness in seeing those young people having so much fun is only true if it can be photographed and digitized, captioned and set to music? During the week I know that all of them work hard in great jobs.

 My husband is happy to go and observe and remember. He does not own a camera now, though he once was an excellent photographer of people and events. He has traveled the world, reads widely. We talk all the time, face to face, trying to make some sense of this interesting world we find ourselves in. We have interesting conversational evenings with friends speaking of issues and ideas, books we've read and places we've been. We rarely discuss our smart phones and other new technology.

So, just another blog from this old curmudgeon. I could do a (short) mud run!

Where is this all going?

1 comment:

  1. I just came across your blog today and read all your posts. What a lovely diary! My one question is: you sound so Californian in your views, how do you do get by with them in Florida!!! lol as the young folks say!

    ReplyDelete