Sunday, April 08, 2012

Waiting for progeny

In a couple of hours our oldest son and his two kids will arrive for a visit. They are coming from an island off Seattle, the farthest place from us on the mainland USA. I have not seen this particular family branch since last July. I am excited to see my son, of course, and I am filled with expectations about spending a week with these grandchildren I hardly ever see. Caroline, just six, is such a vivid and beautiful little girl. We'll have lots to do with each other. Her older brother Joe, eight, still kind of an enigma to me, may tell me what his interests are and we'll have fun.
We grandparents have been thinking about what will suit these kids we barely know. What do they eat? What will please them? We know already that we will not devote our precious days to standing in line in expensive theme parks, and we will continue to eat out of the garden. Quincy, our daughter's son will be here, and he is an old hand (My second house, he describes it), and he will show his cousins around. We will go and visit our neighbor's chickens, one of which Quincy has claimed and named Yoda. We will go out and look at Quincy's museum of bones and fossils. We'll swim in the pool, ride bikes down the road, fly kites, fish in the pond, make art in my studio, build Legos in the playroom.
I am so blessed to have all these grandchildren who swoop in and out of my life. I had no idea this would happen!
We have groomed the place, mostly for our benefit, and it looks lovely. If only it would rain everything would be perfect. It will be perfect when they arrive. Happy Easter or Spring to all of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment